01 April 2003

Safety incident

A recent incident with the location lighting kits used by media students highlights the need for careful management of the Division’s electrical equipment.

On 20 March 2003 at around 3pm one of the Redhead lights exploded while one of the Media Assistants was inspecting it after the light was returned from loan. The explosion tripped the circuit breaker on a power circuit, and the staff member concerned was not hurt. Subsequent examination of the light by the Help Desk manager showed that the inline switch had shorted where the wiring from the plug joined the switch. Any damage that may have led to the short would not have been apparent even if the switch had been disassembled before the incident.

A qualified electrician has been contracted to inspect all the lighting kits and to repair any faults, including the damaged light. All lights will be certified before being put back into service. No lights will be loaned out until they can all be inspected and have Residual Current Devices (RCDs) permanently fitted. Parts have been ordered and the work is expected to be completed by 4 April 2003.