Financial institutions around the world have always been subject to attempts by criminals to try and defraud money from them and their customers. These attempts can occur in a number of ways (eg credit card fraud, telephone banking or Internet scams).
Two examples of common Internet scams include:
- Attempting to steal a customer's login details by sending out emails which appear to be from a financial institution, and requesting personal details (eg Customer number and password)
- Creating a website, which looks similar to a financial institution's, but acts as a 'ghost website' capturing customer details and using them to transact on the customer's account
Following are a number of quick and easy methods to help you protect your details online.
- Check you are connected to a legitimate website
- Check your email has come from a legitimate source
- Protect your financial records
- Protect your computer
- Keep your password safe
- Guard your privacy